Foundation of the Box Tie
This is the first layer of several different chest ties. It can be tied
with the hands in any position. We have shown it with the hands behind
the back as this is the most common usage. This is a memory aide only.
To learn this tie properly you should be shown it “hands on”. This is
the first step of the Ushiro Takatekote
) which is one of the most well known of the Japanese style ties
1. Anchor your rope with a single column tie or similar. Wrap the standing end around the chest.
2. Wrap a second time passing the rope over the diagonal rope coming from the anchor knot
3. pass the rope under the diagonal rope and pull up
4. put one finger up under the chest wraps as shown. Loop the standing end over your finger and then pull it through
5. Repeat the finger hook a second time as shown
6. Repeat the finger hook one last time to complete